Anoka MN Community Profile
Garage Doors Plus is proud to be serving the good people of Anoka Minnesota. We thought you might like to know a bit more about this interesting and vibrant community.
History of Anoka
The city of Anoka is known as the Halloween Capital of the World because it was one of the first cities to actually host an annual Halloween Parade, which began in 1920. The name “Anoka” was derived from the Dakota, which means “from both sides” due to its location along the Rum River. The area was first settled in 1844 and by the 1850s the small settlement had a school, a store and a flour mill. Incorporation to cityhood happened in 1878.
|Population density (sq mi)||2,569||67||91|
|Married (15yrs & older)||53%||58%||55%|
- The average age in Anoka is 7% higher than Minnesota
- 87.90% of the population is Caucasian
- 6.57% of the population is African-American
- 1.10% of the population is Asian
Cost of Living
|Cost of living index||101||102||100|
|Goods & Services index||108||106||100|
|Health care index||106||110||100|
- Cost of living is 1% lower than the state average
- Cost of living is 1% higher than the national average
- Cost of housing is 6% lower than the national average
The city of Anoka is served by the Anoka-Hennepin School District 11.
High Schools include: Anoka high school and STEP high school (Secondary Technical Education Program)
Middle School: Anoka Middle School for the Arts with two campuses namely: Fred Moore Campus and Washington Campus.
The district 11 elementary schools in the city include: Franklin Elementary School, Lincoln Elementary School and Wilson Elementary School.
Places of Worship
- Advent Lutheran Church – 540 East River Road (763-421-8990) www.adventluthanoka.org
- Anoka Covenant Church – 752 Grant St. (763-421-5194) anokachurch.org
- Anoka Wesleyan Church – Park & Branch (763-427-1068) anokawesleyan.com
- Baha’I Faith – 1709 West Lane (763-421-6380)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints – 2742 Yellowstone Blvd. (763-421-6740)
- Church of St. Stephen – 525 Jackson St. (763-421-2471) ststephenchurch.org
- Elim Baptist Church – 503 Polk St. (763-421-8124) elimanoka.org
- First Baptist Church – 1235 Park St. (763-421-5808) www.fbcanoka.org
- First Congregational Church of Anoka – 1923 3rd Ave. (763-421-3375) uccanoka.org
- Grace Life Church – 822 W. Main St. (763-422-1482) www.glcanoka.org
- Mormon Ministries – 236 Madison St. (763-421-0093)
- Mt. Olive Lutheran Church – 700 Western St. (763-421-3223) www.mtolive-anoka.org
- Solid Rock Free Lutheran – 1601 4th Ave. S. (763-433-8610) www.srflc.com/site/cs/Index.asp
- Transformation House Inc. – 1410 S. Ferry St. (763-427-7155)
- United Methodist Church – 850 South St. (763-421-2378) www.anokaumc.org
- Zion Lutheran Church – 1601 4th Ave. S. (763-421-4656) www.zionanoka.org
The top employers in the city include:
- Federal Cartridge
- Anoka-Hennepin School District 11
- Anoka County Government Center
- Anoka Metro Regional Treatment Center
- Rural Community Insurance Services
- Anoka Technical College
- Mate Precision Tooling
- Firestone Metal Products
From 2014 to 2015, employment in Anoka declined at a rate of -0.05% from 8,442 employees to 8,438 employed individuals.
Restaurants & Nightlife
Swedish Crown Bakery Restaurant — known for their natural ingredients, the restaurant offers a nice selection of cookies, bars, breads and rolls. They offer vegan and non-vegan options. Do try the veggie pita soup and the Greek salad. Food is always well-prepared and presented.
The Mad Hatter Restaurant & Tea Room – the place serves well cooked lamb chops; the berry burger is absolutely delicious. Do try the cherry bread pudding with orchid on top. The chicken and wild rice is absolutely amazing.
Truffles and Tortes Dessert Café Restaurant – So many dessert choices available, the coffee is fantastic and the flourless chocolate creation felt like you are eating fudge. They also serve amazing soups and sandwiches.
Fun Things to Do in Anoka
The city has numerous attractions and events for people of all ages. Do check out the following venues:
- Anoka Aquatic Center
- Greenhaven Golf Course
- Anoka Nature Reserve
- Goodrich Field
- Anoka County Historical Society
- Windego Park Auditorium/Open Air Theater
Anoka is quite known for its annual Halloween Parade, a proud tradition that began in 1920. Check out anokahalloween.com for more information.
Anoka MN truly is a great place. If you’d like to know more about our garage door repair services in Anoka, give us a call. We can’t wait to meet you.